74 on FAR, passed the rest

• Creator
    Topic
    Brandon
    Participant

Last night I found out my remaining two scores for the CPA exam. I passed AUD 79, REG 96 and BEC 98. However, I received a 74 on FAR. I used Becker as my main study tool and I just purchased Ninja Assault. Currently I work full time at a Big-4 firm, however they said I can focus on my exam for the time being. I’m estimating studying 30 hours a week.

My other 3 tests don’t expire until like May 2019, however I heard on 1/1/18 they’re making FAR even harder (sigh). I tried to immediately jump back into doing Becker’s FAR review with my used book and I don’t know if I’m actually learning. I would like to take my exam in the October-November test period.

My question -> What do you think would be the best approach? Should I continue to do Becker and then after I finish Becker’s chapter to Ninja’s chapter? Since I’ve done all of Becker’s FAR I just feel like some (most) of the questions I memorized the answer to and I’m not really learning the material.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 98
    FAR - 74
    REG - 96
    I hate FAR.
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    accountingmisfit
    Participant

the best approach might be to line up a retake in early October, but depends on how long it's been since you took far. If you sat in early July you'll need more time than if you say in September.

My suggestion as for study method is to be honest with yourself. Which topics did you struggle with? What were the items you were like “man I hope they don't test that” and then hammer those. that was my approach to REG. I got a 74 because I wasn't prepared for the law section and got slaughtered on LKE's. I don't agree with the approach that you should “act like you had never taken it before” and starting fresh from the first study unit. Yes, you want to make sure you're prepared for everything but when you scored a 74 you know most of the material already, if you are honest with your weak areas and embrace them you'll come out the other side.

I took REG from a 74 to an 85

AUD: 81

FAR: 91

REG: 74, 85

BEC: 87

Certified Management Accountant, March 2017

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry to hijack, but what's the story on them making FAR harder?

Brandon
    Participant

I last studied for FAR June 1st to the 30th. So it's been awhile.. My test was July 3rd.

As for making the test harder, I received this email.

https://puu.sh/xDWJX/6722aceeb5.png

AUD - 79
    BEC - 98
    FAR - 74
    REG - 96
    I hate FAR.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Ugh, thanks for the heads up. Like there isn't enough in FAR as is… guess I better make my Q4 test good enough.

Brandon
    Participant

Would scheduling the exam late November or up until December 10th (the last day with the extension) be a good idea? I haven't really looked at FAR since July 3rd and have a feeling it's going to take awhile to relearn some of the small stuff. Luckily I saved my notes.

If I do end up finishing Becker in its entirely (hahaha), I'll just do more Ninja.

Right now I just don't know if I should use Becker as my primary resource and Ninja as my secondary resource?

AUD - 79
    BEC - 98
    FAR - 74
    REG - 96
    I hate FAR.
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.