September 21, 2018 at 2:56 pm #1988027
Welcome to the FAR CPA Exam study group for October, November, and December 2018 exams. 🙂
Please introduce yourself & when you're taking your exam (approximate timeframe).
FAR Study Group Links and Resources:
September 22, 2018 at 10:53 am #1991798
- NINJA Monthly – Full FAR Course for $67/mo
- How to Study for FAR with NINJA Only
- How to Pass FAR in 20 Days
- How to Retake FAR After Failing
- Video: Study Advice for FAR
- CPA Reviewed Podcast
- CPA Exam Score Release Dates
- NINJA MCQ Trending vs Actual FAR Scores
- I Passed the CPA Exam!
- I Passed FAR!
- NINJA FAR SIMS List by Topic
- Free CPA Review: FAR
Hi Jeff and fellow CPA Candidates!
I guess I will go first. After 2 failed attempts at FAR (one exam fail with a 72 and one due to a testing center closure in which I was not notified – I showed up ready to take the exam and there was a note on the door of the Prometric center), I took a break from FAR to study (and pass!) REG instead. They say third time is the charm, so here I go again. I plan to take the exam the last week of November. I am most comfortable with Financial Reporting and Disclosures since this is what I do all day, everyday for all types of entities in all sorts of industries. I struggle most with Cash Flows – this is what caused my failure the first time I took the exam. I will begin studying for the third time on Monday.
Good luck everyone. I hope to report happy news of a passing grade in December.September 22, 2018 at 8:46 pm #1992557
Been on this journey off and on since 2010. Hoping to end it this year. Passed BEC in Q1 2018, REG in Q2 2018, and AUD in Q3 2018. Also failed FAR in Q3 with a 70 so fingers crossed for a pass in Q4.
1. Approx exam date: Mid-November
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section: State & local governments
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most: Everything else according to my score notice lol
Good luck!!September 22, 2018 at 10:03 pm #1992614
I just passed BEC and failed AUD with a 70. Been studying FAR for a couple of weeks.
1. Approx exam date: Early/Mid-November
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section: Financial reporting
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most: Not sure if i can pass FAR since it covers everything!! and I feel like it takes time to read materials, do MCQ and SIMs etc.
Good luck everyone!!September 23, 2018 at 5:17 pm #1993610
Hey Everyone –
This will be my 3rd attempt at FAR. Hoping to get this beast done with before the 2018 changes
1. Approx exam date: October 10th
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section: Bonds – my weakest area before I started drilling MCQ's
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most: deferred tax assets/liabilitiesSeptember 23, 2018 at 7:28 pm #1993790
I am taking FAR on Oct. 22. This will be my first attempt at any section of the CPA exam. I am using only NINJA.
I think currently I am most comfortable with the first section of FAR. The conceptual framework and standard setting.
The area I worry about the most is Government.
Nick PowellSeptember 24, 2018 at 6:55 am #1994228
1. Taking FAR end of October
2. Topic Im most comfortable with is Governement/NFP as long as I dont get my terms mixed up
3. Topic that worries me most is Investments/Pensions/BondsSeptember 24, 2018 at 8:14 am #1994318
After 10 years of “trying” to pass, I got in gear last year and I'm 3/4 (again) with FAR remaining. My 18 month window ends Nov 16. I've passed FAR before so hopefully can pass again and be done.
1. Approx exam date – Scheduled Nov 15
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section – Probably 606 since I work in pricing at a technology company and we are implementing it right now
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most – I'm weak in journal entries so I'm trying to write the JE for every applicable MCQSeptember 24, 2018 at 8:25 am #1994345
1. Approx exam date – Scheduled Nov 5
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section – Govt/NFP
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most – Statement of Cash FlowSeptember 24, 2018 at 8:29 am #1994360
Got a 52 on FAR. Not happy. Rescheduled it for Nov 24th now. Should I study the same part? or move to another part? advice needed.September 24, 2018 at 8:31 am #1994369
can I ask what material are you using?September 24, 2018 at 8:50 am #1994384
My weakest areas:
– GL to subs reconciliation (for AR accounts)
– Bank reconciliation
– cash to accrual basisSeptember 24, 2018 at 10:38 am #1994669
Hi, I have been at this going on three years. Lost my REG score but passed it again 3rd qtr this year. This will be my 3rd time taking FAR, previous scores were 58 and 72. I have the exam scheduled for December 10 (I need all the study time I can get). I am hoping for an awesome Christmas present, because this is my last exam, if I pass I am done!
I am most comfortable with the financial statements. My most problematic areas are government (never had a government class in college) and cash flows. Uggh.September 24, 2018 at 10:58 am #1994714
I quit my job and my life to become a CPA!
1. I am taking Far at the end of Novemeber! This is my last part! I already failed it once with 72 in Q3! I have 6 more month to pass this!
2 . I am comfortable cash to accrual & pension section! ( I know most people hate these two section! I went back and study the intermediate book to learn these two parts since I know u cant pass FAR without knowing this two sections!
3. I am not comfortable with simulations! I dont like the format of the CPA exam simulations questions! For some reason, it is hard for me to understand them!!September 24, 2018 at 1:46 pm #1994963
I am planing to start studying this week with only full Ninja. Winning one of these free months would feel pretty good!
1. Approx exam date: Late November/Begging of December 2018
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section: It's been too long since the last time I studied for the exam, but I would say Financial Reporting.
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most: Bond amortization or anything related with bonds.September 24, 2018 at 2:30 pm #1995038
I have bought the CPA exam review books. I wish to study from NINJA – the MCQ and SIMS mostly. Please let me know if NINJA review subscription is good to go. I mean does it cover properly all the topics .
I am to give FAR in late October
My most comfortable topic is Financial Statement Accounts
I worry aboutbthe Financial instruments though!
Thanks muchSeptember 24, 2018 at 3:05 pm #1995128
1. Approx exam date: mid November
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section: Bonds
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most: Govt/NFTSeptember 24, 2018 at 3:20 pm #1995170
Wish I can win ninja monthly membership 🙂 and I am glad to start a new quarter journey with everyone else.
1. Approx exam date: the end of Nov
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section: no 100% section
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most: Bonds/Government/NFPSeptember 24, 2018 at 4:27 pm #1995245
Here we go..
1. Approximate test date: Late October
2. Most comfortable with: intercompany transactions and consolidation
3. Least comfortable with: bonds, leases, non monetary exchangesSeptember 24, 2018 at 7:12 pm #1995470
I studied half-way through FAR back in 2013 but because I was changing jobs I put it off until July this year. I need to pass all four parts and the ethics exam and get my CPA and finally scratch it off my to-do list.
1. Exam date: 1st week of October
2. Strongest topics: Accounting changes, Adjusted Cost & Equity Methods, Inventory, Derivatives
3. Weakest Topics: Governmental, Non-Profit, Statements of Cash Flows, Bonds, Bonds, Pensions.
This is an awesome and helpful forum. I don't know why I didn't search for it sooner. 🙂
VooSeptember 25, 2018 at 9:19 am #1995956
1. Approx exam date: Mid to late November.
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section: Reconciliations, Accruals, Financial Statements
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most: Cash Flows, Bonds, Government/NFP – But my score notice says everything is weak. who knows anymore.September 25, 2018 at 9:34 am #1995968
1. Approx exam date – Mid/Late November
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section – State/local governments and non-profits
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most. – Recording journal entries in simulations.September 25, 2018 at 9:54 am #1996001
1. Approx exam date – First Week of December
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section – Conceptual Framework & IFRS (This is the only section I have learned so far)
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most. – Governmental Accounting, Disclosures, ConsolidationsSeptember 25, 2018 at 12:36 pm #1996271
Re-taking FAR mid-October.
Taking AUD Mid November.
I am best with Government and NFP accounting concepts.
I am weakest with Liabilities, Pensions, and calculating EPS.
I am currently using Becker and wondering if I should take BEC again this quarter while it is still somewhat fresh instead of taking AUD…
FAR – 66
BEC – 73
AUD – TBD
REG – TBDSeptember 25, 2018 at 1:49 pm #1996364
I've been studying since July. This is my first exam section and I wanted to ease my way back into studying. Reading these forums makes me nervous though because a lot of people say not to study for this long! I am studying with Wiley and doing some free MCQ's on CPAreviewforfree. I'm going to see how it goes and if I fail I plan to supplement with NINJA on my second try.
1. Approx exam date- December 10th
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section- Inventory Valuation and EPS
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most-Cash FlowsSeptember 25, 2018 at 4:53 pm #1996577
1. Mid-end October
2. Most comfortable with the most easiest topics
3. Most hardest topics give me problemsSeptember 25, 2018 at 5:14 pm #1996595
1. Early November
2. Comfortable with Financial Statements and Accruals
3. Not comfortable with Governmental AccountingSeptember 25, 2018 at 10:53 pm #1997066
Greetings, I plan to take FAR at the end of November. I am most comfortable with depreciation and inventory. I am focusing my studies on liabilities and governmental reporting.September 26, 2018 at 8:19 am #1997228
1. Approx exam date: December 6
2. Topic you're most-comfortable within this exam section: inventory, financial statements.
3. Topic you're weakest in / worries you the most: governmental.September 26, 2018 at 2:45 pm #1997918
1) Approx exam date : early December
2)Topic most comfortable with: Inventory/PP&E (thus far)
3)Topic weakest/worries me most: Derivatives/Foreign Operations
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.