17 year old has earned her CPA license, and a 27 year old who can't pass FAR

• Creator
    Topic
    law0915
    Participant

Interesting, saw this posted on my Twitter feed.

At just 17 years of age, Belicia Cespedes of Canyon Country, CA has earned her CPA license, in addition to earning her bachelor’s degree in accounting and completing two years of part-time work experience under a licensed CPA, according to The Santa Clarita Valley Signal.

One of four sisters, Belicia was a part of a homeschooling program that saw her and her siblings graduate high school between ages 11 and 14. Their schooling revolved around their own interests and strengths in order to hone in on a specific career path.

After completing high school, Cespedes quickly started acquiring college credit through the College-Level Examination Program – a credit program overseen by the College Board. To work up to the CPA Exam, Cespedes completed the specific number of credits in mandated subject areas such as business, ethics and mathematics.

After passing the five required exams—four knowledge-based, one ethics-based—on her third attempt, Cespedes’ parents submitted her accomplishment to the Guinness World Records for verification.

“They don’t have records of it, so they don’t know if she’s the youngest,” Jan said, according to the Signal. “So [her] Mom and I decided to name Belicia Cespedes the youngest CPA in American history.”

https://www.accountingtoday.com/blogs/accounting-tomorrow/belicia-cespedes-17-possibly-youngest-to-ever-receive-CPA-license-72645-1.html

REG 77 Feb14
    BEC 13*, 79 Aug14
    FAR 64**, 76 Nov14
    AUD 89 Feb15

*Exited exam after first testlet
    **Only studied F1-F6 out of 10 Becker chapters

Licensed Arizona CPA

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    sko rebs
    Participant

Poor girl is gonna miss out on college life…

y_u_no_pass
    Participant

This is pretty awesome. I don't think I could have passed the CPA at 17!

Florida CPA!
    Took final exam 2/25/15.
    Sent in Application 3/12/15.
    Issued License 3/20/15.
    Used CPA Excel solely for all exams.

law0915
    Participant

@sko rebs I'd like to think I'd have forgone the pimp n hoes/pajama themed ect. partying, jungle juicing drinking, flip cup/beer pong playing college years to be licensed at 17. Unless she has a mid-20's breakdown where she decides she wants to start going all wild, her liver will thank her the rest of her life for the missed 5 years and her credential will reward her the rest of her life also 🙂

@y_u_no_pass I know right!? I did take an honors advanced accounting course when I was a junior in high school. It was tough, but I had learned so much, but not enough to pass that exam lol…wow! It says it took her 3 tries. I wonder if that was 3x each section or what.

REG 77 Feb14
    BEC 13*, 79 Aug14
    FAR 64**, 76 Nov14
    AUD 89 Feb15

*Exited exam after first testlet
    **Only studied F1-F6 out of 10 Becker chapters

Licensed Arizona CPA

Anonymous
    Inactive

The way I read it, it was the 3rd attempt on the ethics exam.

Wow! What a great accomplishment!

I find it extra cool that it's a local girl, who is also home schooled.

The article is dated Nov. 2014. I wonder why it's just now making national news.

I found another article about the family, dated Feb. 2014, which says she started studying for the CPA exam in the prior month, at 16 years old.

Good for her! And good on her parents.

There is a lot of drug abuse in that area, especially with teenagers. So good on her parents for raising her and her siblings to value their education, instead of getting mixed up in that other crap.

CPA (MA, Non Reporting) since Oct. 2015

B – 33, 71, 79

A – 32, 61, 70, 83

R – 33, 58, 73, 69, 81

F – 47, 78

1st test 01/19/2013

Last test 05/26/2015

CPA (MA, Non-Reporting)

The difference in winning & losing is most often, not quitting - Walt Disney

B - 33, 71, 79!
    A - 32, 61, 70, 83!
    R - 33, 58, 73, 69, 81!
    F - 47, 78! 🙂
    After 3 long years, I'm finally DONE!
    I could not have done it without NINJA MCQs.

Used: Roger for his Videos, WTB, and NINJA Audio, Notes and Test Bank.

kcrc
    Participant

Why would a gifted 17 year old choose to take the CPA exam? Why not go into medicine or any science? Accounting is for smart people that aren't smart enough to pass advanced math and science.

Sleep Optional
    Participant

Kudos to her. But I'd have to agree with kcrc on this one. It seems like a waste of potential. If they stuck her into a hard science who knows, she might have cured cancer in the future.

BEC x1 - Passed
    REG x2 - Passed
    Audit x1 - Passed
    FAR x2 - Passed

BEC: ☑ x1 attempt(s)
    REG: ☑ x2 ''
    AUD: ☑ x1 ''
    FAR: ☑ x2 ''

Done!

hum…maybe she doesn't like the sight of blood or want to be in the same room as cadaver; both of which are a requirement in med school.

The article I found from Feb 2014 says she loves accounting, and wanted to be the youngest person to pass the CPA, hoping to steal the record from a 19 year old. She succeed. I for one think that's great!

If it makes ya'll feel better, her older sister was (is?) working toward a master's in nutrition; already planning on possible pursuing her doctorate, and will be done with that when she's 22.

Their 15 year old sister had just finished her bachelor's degree – in business.

And the 13 year old sister finished high school in 2012, and was in college majoring in American Sign Language.

CPA (MA, Non Reporting) since Oct. 2015

B – 33, 71, 79

A – 32, 61, 70, 83

R – 33, 58, 73, 69, 81

F – 47, 78

1st test 01/19/2013

Last test 05/26/2015

CPA (MA, Non-Reporting)

The difference in winning & losing is most often, not quitting - Walt Disney

B - 33, 71, 79!
    A - 32, 61, 70, 83!
    R - 33, 58, 73, 69, 81!
    F - 47, 78! 🙂
    After 3 long years, I'm finally DONE!
    I could not have done it without NINJA MCQs.

Used: Roger for his Videos, WTB, and NINJA Audio, Notes and Test Bank.

Anonymous
    Inactive

At the risk of now sounding like the total crazy-kid… I was homeschooled through highschool, and know several other homeschoolers who are using what I assume is the same program for completing college early. I know several who were graduating college around the age of 18. It doesn't mean they're child prodigies – just that their learning was able to be tailored to their learning styles etc. and that they studied efficiently. Also, young minds learn better, in my opinion – perhaps fewer “adult worries” taking up space? Not knocking her at all – like I said, I have several friends who are doing college in normal highschool years, and besides, she and I are alums of the same college. Just saying, there's actually a decent-sized group of kids doing this same thing.

By the way, the “College Level Examination Program” she used is the CLEP exams frequently discussed here.

This article goes into more detail: https://www.aicpa.org/InterestAreas/YoungCPANetwork/Resources/Career/Pages/worlds-youngest-cpa-belicia-cespedes.aspx?action=print?action=print

P. S. I wasn't one of these crazy kids myself – I was homeschooled, but graduated at a normal age, went to college like a normal kid, then “dropped out” of traditional college to take classes online while working 2 jobs…so, though we're alums of the same school, I can't claim any credit of being like her.

Martin
    Participant

Latina child prodigy becoming a CPA? What a waste of talent. Maybe she was not as gifted as people thought she was.

Through God all things can happen!

“You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people;as I grow older, I admire kind people.
    “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.”

FAR= 72-84
    Audit= 73-82
    BEC= 74-75
    Reg=77

Tncincy
    Participant

Oh the pressure……you think passing is enough, now kids are doin it :-/…what is this exam coming too

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

Anonymous
    Inactive

People – just read the whole article. It says that “the program involved in their own interests and strengths” It was probably what she liked and mastered. lets not be selfish.

Martin
    Participant

Coquipr41, is this child prodigy Boricua?

Through God all things can happen!

“You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people;as I grow older, I admire kind people.
    “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.”

FAR= 72-84
    Audit= 73-82
    BEC= 74-75
    Reg=77

mla1169
    Participant

I love how the rest of you read this story and think of your own journey. I read iit and think damn it was all I could do to get my 15 year old to WAKE UP today let alone pass college and the CPA 🙂

FAR- 77
    AUD -49, 71, 84
    REG -56,75!
    BEC -75

Massachusetts CPA (non reporting) since 3/12.

Meeekks

I don't think that's “prodigy” or “genius” level. I'm pretty sure all of us could've done better if we didn't waste so much years in public schools. Don't get me wrong though, that's an amazing achievement.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.