18 Month Rule

• Creator
    Topic
    jm962011
    Participant

Hi! I am looking for the guidance about the 18 month rule.

I am an Indiana candidate (apparently, it matters which state?). I took AUD on 1/8/2014 and passed. The NASBA website says they received my score on 2/4/2014 and that credit for the exam expires 7/31/2015.

I just want to make sure my expiration date is actually 7/31/2015 and not June 8, 2015 (with no testing in June, I would tell myself I have to be finished (and scored???) by 5/31/2015.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    scarecrow

18 months from the day you took the test is the general rule.

I took a test/passed on January 3rd, and my score reports showed that it would expire on July 3 of the following year. 18 months.

In your case, I would plan on July 8th as your expiration.

I did read a while back where someone had date discrepancies and ended up losing credit because they went by the wrong date that NASBA had. I don't recall ever hearing how their appeal went. When in doubt go 18 months from the day you took the test just to be sure.

317 CLUB

Anonymous
    Inactive

Read your state board rules. It's ultimately up to them. In Colorado it's the date you took the first exam you passed. So, if I took the exam January 1st and received my passing score January 20th, my score would expire June 1st.

scarecrow

That's 17 months, try again.

317 CLUB

Anonymous
    Inactive

@scarecrow – Here's the thread; it ended in her favor. https://www.another71.com/cpa-exam-forum/topic/nasba-says-i-passed-state-board-says-i-didnt

To the OP – The 18 month rule varies by state. For some states the first exam expires at the 18 month mark. For others, it's the 18 month mark plus the remainder of that month. Yours sounds like the latter. Either way you should read the state rules or contact your state board for clarification.

Tripp11

I was an Indiana candidate as well, and I called the Indiana State Board of Accountancy and talked to someone there about the 18 month window – as I got very close to mine. I suggest you call them or email them to confirm. Off the top of my head I don't remember what they told me, and I can't locate the email.

AUD - 93
    BEC - 80
    REG - 86
    FAR - 83

Tripp11

Alright, I pulled my CPA Exam file…

I took AUD on 2/4/12 and my letter said that credit expired on 8/31/13.

I took my final section, FAR, on 8/29/13.

AUD - 93
    BEC - 80
    REG - 86
    FAR - 83

Indiana

“Credit for any section passed shall be valid for 18 months from the actual date the examination sections were taken.”

Ah, the power of a google search…

From my understanding, and @CNS's link on the NASBA/ state board discrepancy, it appears that the two are still working out their differences regarding timeframes and reporting dates. I think it's safe to say, 18 months from the day you took your test, and not the end of the month, for conservative purposes.

BEC - ✔ REG - ✔ AUD - ✔ FAR - ✔

Becker + NINJA MQCs for FAR

Licensed January 2015

jm962011
    Participant

Thanks! I was looking for the official guidance on the NASBA website, should've just resorted to google 🙂

Clear as mud/ambiguous as I remember an accounting professor say… it's spot on when it comes to the CPA exam and the licensing process 🙂

Ha – exactly right jm962011! I've done the same thing – tried searcing on NASBA, AICPA, etc. only to airball; but then trying Google took me to the exact, buried spot on the NASBA, AICPA websites…lol

BEC - ✔ REG - ✔ AUD - ✔ FAR - ✔

Becker + NINJA MQCs for FAR

Licensed January 2015

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.