2 Questions for strategy on exam day for FAR

• Creator
    Topic
    Tcohle
    Participant

Just have 2 questions:

1) What is your strategy when you have NO clue how to do a SIM or MCQ on test day? MCQ I guess you can narrow it down and make an educated guess. But what to do for SIMS? Put all zeroes in?

2) Does anyone try, more often than not, to do mental math with all problems? I feel like I would only want to write down a problem if it is super complex or definitely necessary. I do that when I practice problems now on Ninja MCQ.

AUD - 84
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 76
    REG - 87
    Ninja Notes/MCQ/Book/Audio for all

FAR- 5/11/15 76!!
    AUD-10/31/15 63, 84!
    REG-7/12/16 72
    BEC-8/31/15 75!! Perfect Score!

Wiley CPAExcel Platinum
    Ninja 10 pt combo for FAR/AUD/BEC

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Sleep Optional
    Participant

1. For sims I didn't know how to do, I searched the authoritative literature. I generally speed through the MCs and reserve more time for Sims just so I can have extra time to search the literature. If I had to guess (generally due to time constraints) I entered a random number based on how many digits are in the problem.

If for example (only as an example. This is NOT based on my own exam experience/questions) the question asks for EPS, I would know it's highly unlikely the number would have 7 digits. So I would hypothetically enter a random 1-2 digit number etc. If it was asking for something like depreciation, I know it is likely a much larger number, similar to the amount of the asset.

2. I wrote down all calculation problems on the board provided. The reason being is that when I was doing studying problems in preparation for the exam, I can sometimes miss a decimal or move number to the wrong place in my head. So for instance, if the number is 15.05, I might accidentally select 15.5. I used the on screen calculator and board provided even for easy questions. I rather not risk losing very easy points.

BEC x1 - Passed
    REG x2 - Passed
    Audit x1 - Passed
    FAR x2 - Passed

BEC: ☑ x1 attempt(s)
    REG: ☑ x2 ''
    AUD: ☑ x1 ''
    FAR: ☑ x2 ''

Done!

CPA50
    Participant

Read the SIMS instructions VERY carefully. They will tell you what is expected. If it says to enter zeros and leave no blanks, then I start by doing that so I don't miss any, and I will at least get credit for following instructions. It might say that not every blank needs an answer, so NO don't include zeros because technically, that would be an answer. Just take a deep breath and remember to use the A.L. also.

Do some practice ones now to get the feel for how the questions are asked. You've got lots of time still.

AUD - 80
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 80
    REG - 80
    3 years

+ 16 tests

+ 2 expired sections

= DONE FOREVER!

AUD 88 (expired), 80 retake
    FAR 64,69,67,73,67,73,73,73, August 3
    REG 75 (expired) September 7
    BEC 72, 77

The adventure continues...

jbarwick

I was lucky enough to have sims on all topics I had some familiarity about. Now filling them in was another story but at least I could get partial credit on say a journal entry where you know the Debit/Credit accounts but cannot accurately calculate the associated amounts.

For MCQs, I stuck to the 45 min per testlet so it meant moving quickly through the material and I would mark questions I had issues with. I think I moved forward without selecting an answer and the program highlights that question with a different color to alert you of no answer selected. As for how to figure them out, just try and hope it is pre-test.

Journey Started - January 2015
    FAR - 4/2015 - Passed
    AUD - 7/2015 - Passed
    BEC - 8/2015 - Passed
    REG - 11/12/2015 - Passed

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.