24 accounting unit requirement

• Creator
    Topic
    lindafine

I have two questions regarding the 24 accounting unit prerequisite to sit in for the CPA exams.

I have a bachelor’s degree in economics and now I’m taking evening accounting classes to fulfill the 24 unit requirement. (I already have the 150 semester units of education and 24 units in business). I need to know how strict the AICPA is about the accounting courses.

1. I took a business/accounting course at UC Riverside called “Financial Evaluation and Managerial Analysis” but just by reading the course title, would they reject this as an accounting course for my 24 unit requirement? When you’re registering to take the CPA exams what does the section on the course prereqs ask for? I know that you need to order official transcripts but do you simply list the title of the courses on the application?

2. I took a class called “Intermediate Accounting” at a community college and another class called “Intermediate Financial Accounting and Reporting” at a university. To be honest, both classes taught very similar material but would I be able to apply the credits earned from both classes to my 24 accounting unit requirement?

Any help is appreciated. I need to plan for my last quarter (hopefully) of classes so I can start studying for the exams. Thanks in advance.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Regarding #1: most likely yes; they may count it as accounting credits.

Regarding #2: definitely no; similar classes taken at the same level but at different universities/colleges count only once.

What you could take is: financial accounting, managerial accounting, intermediate accounting 1&2, auditing, taxation, accounting systems, and anything additional if needed.

bighitter56
    Participant

Lindafine, what state are you taking the CPA exam in?

BEC- 86
    AUD- 96
    REG- 83
    FAR- soon hopefully

Using Wiley CPA Review Books and 2012 Wiley Online Test Bank
    MBA in Finance & Strategy

Anonymous
    Inactive

I suggest you call the CBA to confirm first (I'm assuming you're from California?). I wish I did before I applied. I had exactly 24 units of accounting but one of the courses didn't have “accounting” in the title so they didn't count it. During application you do not get to specify which classes you took but they just look at your transcript and highlight the accounting courses and add it up. They mailed me a copy of it when they notified me I didn't have enough units. I had to get a letter from my professor on a school letterhead, resend my information, and waited ANOTHER month before I got approved. The process took 2 months instead of 1. If I had known, I would have gotten a letter first and sent it with my application the first time. You can send any supplement info along with your application.

To your second question, one of the HR people at a Big 4 said that as long as the course titles aren't the same, you can count it as different classes. Like my accounting courses are listed as “Bus 150” for example. But at another school it is listed as “Acct 153” for the same class.

bighitter56
    Participant

@lindafine, your state board will verify your credits, not the AICPA. And from my experiences, they're pretty strict. Once you apply for your first section of the CPA exam, they will send you a document showing exactly what else you need to do to meet the state licensing requirement (at least in my state).

BEC- 86
    AUD- 96
    REG- 83
    FAR- soon hopefully

Using Wiley CPA Review Books and 2012 Wiley Online Test Bank
    MBA in Finance & Strategy

Missjwebb

@Annie123 – I read your response and it caused me to scramble and look up my transcripts.

I took a surplus of accounting courses (at the lower level) but honestly couldn't remember titles.

In your opinion would this class be counted as an accounting class:

Subject Number: ACCT215

Course Title: Internal Control Compliance

(I have had an overload of info the past several days. Just submitted my application for California CPA exams. I seem to recall they wanted the course title to state Accounting somewhere. Other than the obvious subject number of ACCT215, I would hope they can figure out that this was an accounting class. BORING ONE TOO – essentially SOX…)

Jackie

REG - planned for Nov 2012
    BEC - TBD
    FAR - TBD
    AUD - TBD

studying with CPAexcel
    considering Ninja Notes

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Missjwebb! My personal opinion is yes, they would count that course. Of course I don't work for the Board but I would think the they would pick up on the “ACCT”. If for some reason they don't count it, you can always follow up with a letter like I did and it will eventually count towards your requirements.

Whatdidyou

You just send your transcripts and they look at them and count your credits.

In my experinece, they just look at course numbers and titles. They do not dig deep. If it is AccountingXXX: Financial Valuation, it will count as an accounting credit. If it is FinanceXXX: Financial valuation it probably won't. Silly, huh?

I think it'd be fine for you to send in a description of the course, cut and pasted from the Universities website with the URL cited, and highlight all the “accounting” terms in the course description. Then, they'd prob be more likely to count it. But who knows.

“2. I took a class called “Intermediate Accounting” at a community college and another class called “Intermediate Financial Accounting and Reporting” at a university. To be honest, both classes taught very similar material but would I be able to apply the credits earned from both classes to my 24 accounting unit requirement?”

This, you may be able to get away with if they don't look to closesly (just look at the course numbering). But Intermediate accounting will probably jump out at them and they'd want some proof that they were not the same class (say, one was 1st in the intermediate sequence, and the 2nd was 2nd).

REG - Passed!!
    BEC - Passed
    FAR - Passed
    AUD - Passed

Study Materials: Becker basic course

Anonymous
    Inactive

The AICPA does not review your accounting credits. Your state board does. So ask them.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.