4 weeks for FAR

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Long story short, I have taken BEC, AUD, and REG, and for each I have used Wiley CPAexcel book, and Wiley Q-bank. I was reading the whole book, and also completing all MCQs at least once. I have noticed though that for AUD and REG the Wiley book gives so much information, that coming to the actual exam you realize that you are only tested on about 10-15% of everything you have read/prepared for. I understand that this knowledge can be helpful in one’s life and career, but it probably is an overkill when studying for the exam where the goal is to pass. I think it could be better to focus solely on those topics that are necessary to get 75+.

Having said that, now I have about 4 weeks to study for FAR. No way am I going to read 1,000 pages of Wiley book. I want something more efficient. My initial plan is to read through all the MCQs that are in the book, understand the explanations, and then do all the questions in the Q-bank multiple times but without putting too much effort to remember the questions rather than understand the answers.

Anything you could share on this would be appreciated. Maybe you can share your own 4-week FAR experience, or suggest some notes, or MCQ approach. Thanks a lot!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I finished F1 today in Becker, and I plan on sitting for FAR on the 1st of October. I'm also studying full-time.

Not worried about my time constraints. You can do it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My goal is get FAR knocked out before I start at the end of the first week in October. Would be awesome to be done before my birthday, and so I don't have to worry about it come busy season. Just finished F1 today too – but I've been slacking as I'm feeling burnt out!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I took just under 2 months to prepare and study for FAR and I'll know if I passed in another week. I started early July and had to take a week off of studying in early August when I got a job offer that required a large amount of time on my part to put everything in order for.

With that being said here's my advice: Don't underestimate the Sims portion of the exam. It was MUCH tougher than I was expecting. I think I did well on the Sims but I spent a full 2 hours working the Sims (only 1 hour on the MCQ). You can never do too many MCQ. Work every MCQ you can get your hands on several times if possible.

Finally FAR has so much information that is tested on that you'll never feel fully ready. But make sure you understand GOV/NFP accounting. It WILL be on the exam (to the tune of 15 to 25% of your exam). If you're like most people, you never saw a single GOV/NFP Accounting subject in school so you'll need to learn it from the ground up if that's the case.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This article from the website may be helpful: https://www.another71.com/how-to-pass-the-cpa-exam-in-20-days/

Anonymous
    Inactive

It's possible. I gave myself 0 weeks the first time and three weeks the second time. Received a 73 and 67, respectively. I'd have nailed it the second time if I had another week to tie it all in.

Also, I work 50 hrs a week, am several years out of school and haven't done a debit or credit since. If you are only studying, there is no reason why you can't get it done in four weeks.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.