74 on FAR… Advice for retake

• Creator
    Topic
    jhd7

This 74 on FAR completes my apparent quest to fail each section of the exam with a 70 or greater at least once lol I guess I’m the exact person Jeff had in mind when he made the site. This one stings a little more as I would’ve been done with my CPA journey if I could’ve squeezed out another point. Anyway for those who have passed a FAR retake, do you recommend I go through the entire course again or just review and take it again asap while it’s fresh?

AUD- 78
    BEC- 79
    REG- 91
    FAR- 83

Licensed NJ CPA

DONE

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    rvcpa

when did you take it? how fresh is it in your mind? I took FAR on the 25th of Feb and just got a 69. I kept reviewing all week so its like I havent taken the exam yet. I am going to hit my weak spots even more, and destroy the sims because they kept me from passing. I think if you are still fresh you should just keep studying and take it again soon. If you are a few weeks out I would say rewatch the lectures, it wouldnt hurt.

rvcpa

when did you take it? how fresh is it in your mind? I took FAR on the 25th of Feb and just got a 69. I kept reviewing all week so its like I havent taken the exam yet. I am going to hit my weak spots even more, and destroy the sims because they kept me from passing. I think if you are still fresh you should just keep studying and take it again soon. If you are a few weeks out I would say rewatch the lectures, it wouldnt hurt.

zieba
    Participant

I used Becker for my FAR 69 grade. I probably wouldn't have found myself in the position of losing grades if I didn't spend so much time watching those Becker lectures (it takes me forever to get through them!). So, for the retake the first thing I did was order the full 10 point combo.

I started out by glancing through my Becker chapters and doing WTB MCQ's… I told myself I'd go back to redoing Becker homework but I liked the conceptual, concise nature of the WTB's. I kept hammering MCQ's and going back to my Becker chapters (printed textbook with highlights) to reference and learn. WTB's show textbook button helped too.

In the weeks leading up to the exam I put my full chapter Becker notes in the corner and started reading their final review outline and hammered MCQ.

I ‘spose since I only posted a seventy five, my experience could have gone either way.

Had I failed, my plan was to retake 4/15 or so and just pick up where I left off last Tuesday. If I'm taking MCQ's section by section and scoring 80's in WTB on say…. 37 bond questions in a row.. I know I don't have to dive back into that chapter.

What do you define as starting from scratch? videos and all?

AUD - 75*, 88 done 5/14! (*exp)
    BEC - 74 , 77
    REG - 65 , 76 (10 point combooo!!)
    FAR - 69 , 75

Dr: perseverance
    Dr: intelligence
    Dr: luck
    . Cr: . advisory score

zieba
    Participant

I used Becker for my FAR 69 grade. I probably wouldn't have found myself in the position of losing grades if I didn't spend so much time watching those Becker lectures (it takes me forever to get through them!). So, for the retake the first thing I did was order the full 10 point combo.

I started out by glancing through my Becker chapters and doing WTB MCQ's… I told myself I'd go back to redoing Becker homework but I liked the conceptual, concise nature of the WTB's. I kept hammering MCQ's and going back to my Becker chapters (printed textbook with highlights) to reference and learn. WTB's show textbook button helped too.

In the weeks leading up to the exam I put my full chapter Becker notes in the corner and started reading their final review outline and hammered MCQ.

I ‘spose since I only posted a seventy five, my experience could have gone either way.

Had I failed, my plan was to retake 4/15 or so and just pick up where I left off last Tuesday. If I'm taking MCQ's section by section and scoring 80's in WTB on say…. 37 bond questions in a row.. I know I don't have to dive back into that chapter.

What do you define as starting from scratch? videos and all?

BEC - 74 , 77
    FAR - 69 , 75

jhd7

I took it one week ago today (2/28/14). Man it would've been nice to be done with this b/s. I'm shocked I even got a 74 though. I felt so unprepared. I'm leaning towards waiting until May. I still want to get everyone's input though.

AUD- 78
    BEC- 79
    REG- 91
    FAR- 83

Licensed NJ CPA

DONE

jhd7

I took it one week ago today (2/28/14). Man it would've been nice to be done with this b/s. I'm shocked I even got a 74 though. I felt so unprepared. I'm leaning towards waiting until May. I still want to get everyone's input though.

AUD- 78
    BEC- 79
    REG- 91
    FAR- 83

Licensed NJ CPA

DONE

jhd7

Yeah from scratch I mean doing the course as if I've never seen it before. I'm worried that I just got lucky with this test and I may not get a “good” test again next time, so I want to make sure I see everything. But I may try to save some time in some areas by skipping if I go that route.

AUD- 78
    BEC- 79
    REG- 91
    FAR- 83

Licensed NJ CPA

DONE

jhd7

Yeah from scratch I mean doing the course as if I've never seen it before. I'm worried that I just got lucky with this test and I may not get a “good” test again next time, so I want to make sure I see everything. But I may try to save some time in some areas by skipping if I go that route.

AUD- 78
    BEC- 79
    REG- 91
    FAR- 83

Licensed NJ CPA

DONE

jhd7

Another worry of mine is taking the exam too early and burning one of my shots before my BEC expires. I have 3 more.

AUD- 78
    BEC- 79
    REG- 91
    FAR- 83

Licensed NJ CPA

DONE

jhd7

Another worry of mine is taking the exam too early and burning one of my shots before my BEC expires. I have 3 more.

AUD- 78
    BEC- 79
    REG- 91
    FAR- 83

Licensed NJ CPA

DONE

zieba
    Participant

I hear you on that front, if not for my expired AUD, I would have been 4/4ths a CPA today. I have to do AUD before 5/31 else BEC expires. Since I only have one window, one shot, I'm scheduling that sucker for as far back as I can.

What I like about WTB is its ability to give you reports on each of the 18 FAR sections. You can then hammer one topic at a time, or test yourself on multiple topics and anything in between.

If you don't have it yet, I believe there's a free 24 hour trial. You can use these 24 hours to test yourself and see which sections are your weakest.

I really wouldn't re-watch the lectures. It's a personal choice, but IMO, they do nothing for me. Five hours of highlighting, to hell with that. In five hours I can do 125 MCQ questions on my weak topics, and read the explanation for each one. I'm seeing topics approached in ten different ways across those 125 MCQ's. Besides, a 74 means you don't need someone telling you to highlight the paragraph which talks about never accruing gain contingencies. You need to immerse yourself in the subject on a deeper level.

Book the date you want now, while it's available… you can always move it up for $35 if things are going good. If you're paying $85 to move it… you know you getting cold feet.

BEC - 74 , 77
    FAR - 69 , 75

zieba
    Participant

I hear you on that front, if not for my expired AUD, I would have been 4/4ths a CPA today. I have to do AUD before 5/31 else BEC expires. Since I only have one window, one shot, I'm scheduling that sucker for as far back as I can.

What I like about WTB is its ability to give you reports on each of the 18 FAR sections. You can then hammer one topic at a time, or test yourself on multiple topics and anything in between.

If you don't have it yet, I believe there's a free 24 hour trial. You can use these 24 hours to test yourself and see which sections are your weakest.

I really wouldn't re-watch the lectures. It's a personal choice, but IMO, they do nothing for me. Five hours of highlighting, to hell with that. In five hours I can do 125 MCQ questions on my weak topics, and read the explanation for each one. I'm seeing topics approached in ten different ways across those 125 MCQ's. Besides, a 74 means you don't need someone telling you to highlight the paragraph which talks about never accruing gain contingencies. You need to immerse yourself in the subject on a deeper level.

Book the date you want now, while it's available… you can always move it up for $35 if things are going good. If you're paying $85 to move it… you know you getting cold feet.

BEC - 74 , 77
    FAR - 69 , 75

jhd7

I have WTB and I like it a lot. I kept getting like 65-70 on my practice testlets, sometimes worse. That's what is making me so worried that I blew an “easy” version of FAR.

AUD- 78
    BEC- 79
    REG- 91
    FAR- 83

Licensed NJ CPA

DONE

jhd7

I have WTB and I like it a lot. I kept getting like 65-70 on my practice testlets, sometimes worse. That's what is making me so worried that I blew an “easy” version of FAR.

AUD- 78
    BEC- 79
    REG- 91
    FAR- 83

Licensed NJ CPA

DONE

Gatorbates
    Participant

I had back to back 74's on FAR, both would have licensed me and one caused me to lose REG. Third time was a charm, and I got and 80, re-passed REG, and now I'm done.

In terms of studying, on my first retake, I started from scratch and did the same routine as I did the first time. You may think it didn't help, since I got another 74, but my second 74 was due to time … I ran out of time on the SIMS and didn't complete two of them. I did “greater” on all areas of multiple choice, and weaker on SIMS.

Third time, I jumped around on my weaker areas, but still did homework problems on each chapter. You can only study the same thing a certain amount of times before your brain starts to melt. Best of luck.

Licensed Florida CPA:
    B: 71, 73, 79
    A: 83
    R: 78 (expired), 77
    F: 74, 74, 80

It's finally freaking over.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.