Graduate w/150 Mid-May; Want to sit for an exam at the end of May; NEED HELP!

• Creator
    Topic
    sjhruby

So here is my situation:

I am from Ohio and was fortunate enough to be able to graduate after 4 years of undergrad with 150 credit hours (due to bringing with me some AP Credits, taking the maximum number of credits allowed each semester, and taking a couple of online community college classes).

I am graduating on May 20th, and will begin working full-time with one of the Big 4 in late August. My plan for the summer is to pass all 4 parts of the CPA Exam. I would like to sit for 1 part end of May, 1 part begining of July, 1 part end of July, and 1 part mid-August. I will start studying for the 1st part as soon as my last final is over on May 10th.

I am just about to fill out and send my online CPA application and certificate of enrollment. However, I realize that I will not be provided with my NTS until they receive my final transcript with my degree posted. Even though my school posts our finals grades on May 14th, they will not send out my final transcript until May 18th, which means it will not be in the Board’s hands until Monday May 21st. I have been told that it takes 3 days from when the final transcript is received to be emailed the NTS, so I expect to receive my NTS on May 24th. I also understand that exams must be scheduled 5 days in advance, so my only options for scheduling an exam in May are May 29th, 30th, or 31st.

What are the chances that on May 24th, I will be able to find an open seat to sit for the exam on May 29th, 30th, or 31st? I am in Cleveland, and willing to travel if necessary to sit (I understand it is OK to take the test at a Prometric Center out-of-state too, so I am fine traveling to Buffalo, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc.)?

Because June is the blackout month for exam testing, I do not want to have to wait until July to take the 1st part of the test. I don’t see my situation as that unsuual, which is why I am surprised I have not been able to find any information on it anywhere online.

Your advice and comments about how to approach this situation are appreciated

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Not to dash any hopes for you but I had a similar plan as you for my first exam two years ago and I didn't get my nts until July, even though our exams and final transcript posting was in about the same time frame as yours is. Not sure if they have improved the wait times for processing the initial applications over the last couple of years or not.

That being said, I can't remember if I sent my application in prior to getting my transcript or if I waited until I had my transcripts.

Good luck to you in your studies and hopefully you can get started in May!

Givemesleep

I dont think you will have a problem finding a seat, but I doubt with that timeline your transcripts will be approved and an NTS issued. Start studying you will need it, what you learn in school is not on the CPA exam !

Reg 11/15/2011 - 80
    Aud 02/28/2012 - 81
    Bec 05/31/2012 - 78
    Far 08/31/2012 - 83 Do you believe in Miracles, YES !!!

CPA License received 10/2012 !!
    CFE License received 04/2013 !!
    EA License received

Givemesleep

katiekanton

Depending on your state, you do not have to have all 150 hours completed before sitting, just before you can get your license. Regardless, I would call my coordinator at NASBA and ask. Mine has always been incredibly helpful, even answering questions while I was in college about which courses would fulfill the requirements for the 24/24/150 and which might benefit me. You never know what tip or trick they might have up their sleeve to get you your NTS sooner.

AUD - 88
    FAR - 90
    REG - 85
    BEC - 88

jking12

I am currently a college senior about to take my first exam. Washington State allows you to take exams within 180 days of your graduation date. I don't know about your state, but you might have to have your school send an inofficial transcript showing that you'll be eligible come May, which would allow you over your NTS. thats how Washington is, Ohio might be different.

FAR - (8/2012) 87
    BEC - (11/2012) 86
    REG - 73 (retake July 2013)
    AUD - 71 (retake April 2013)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.