25% through review in a month! Help?

• Creator
    Topic
    Scared-cpa
    Participant

I’m using CPAexcel and I am 1/3 of the way through the book (~1,000 pages) and 26% done with the assignments online.

I’ve been doing this a month, so I need to pick up the pace as I would like to sit for the exam mid-November. I’m a full-time graduate student (4 courses) so I’m having difficulty finding time to do both. I’ve been completing the assignment for the day in Wiley, but because of the first couple weeks of struggling to find a study pattern, I’m 9 days behind schedule.

How can I pick up the pace without neglecting to learn the material thoroughly? Is a thorough understanding of each topic better or a general understanding?
    My study habits right now consist of reading the section, taking MCQs and some TBS, then writing down the questions I don’t understand or get wrong. I’ve stopped watching the videos and taking notes over it because it is just too time consuming. I’m highlighting in the book which is sufficient for me, I believe. I also have not been doing the Diagnostic exams. Should I be doing these or wait til I’m done reviewing the material before I go back through it for a full review?

Please, any tips, comments, and suggestions are welcome!

"The more I practice, the luckier I get."

FAR - 67, 82 (Expires 07/31/18)
    AUD - 68, 79
    REG - 75
    BEC - 82

Wiley CPAexcel + Ninja

I cannot believe I am done.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Missy
    Participant

How many hours per week are you spending on studying strictly for the CPA? Are you getting in a solid 25 hours per week? You really need 20+ hours a week to succeed with the exams.

Old timer,  A71'er since 2010.

Finance manager/HR manager

Licensed Massachusetts Non Reporting CPA since 2012
    Finance/Admin/HR Manager

GeauxAwayCPA
    Participant

what section is this for? I commend you for being a full time graduate student and doing the CPA exam at the same time. Yikes!

Since you've already cut out the videos, not really sure what else you can do to speed up the process. Unfortunately, I've found that the CPA exam is not really something you can fly through 🙁

For my first three exams (REG, AUD, BEC), I passed on the first try with CPA Excel and this is what I did:

REG – For each lesson, watched videos, did MCQs, taking notes on the ones that gave me trouble or I got wrong, and TBS. I saved the diagnostic exams til the end when I finished all the assignments and went through and did the diagnostic exams several times until I got an 80%-85% on a given area. It was kind of like my “refresher round”; once I got 80-85% for all the topics, I basically just did timed 30 question sets until exam day. I did two two or three practice exams as well once I felt comfortable from doing the timed 30 question sets.

AUD & BEC – basically same as above, except for I cut out the videos completely. They just added so much time and I found myself going way too slow for my liking.

FAR – Same as for AUD & BEC, but I failed my first attempt with a 72. Still trying to figure out how I to defeat that b@stard for round 2!! 🙁

Licensed CPA in Texas trying to start up my own tax practice
    Scared-cpa
    Participant

I've done 61 hours thus far according to CPAexcel, which averages about 15 hours per week. This does not include the time it takes me to read the section – just MCQs.

This is for FAR. I've never taken the exam before so I am learning as I go. Good luck on getting it the second time around! Pray for me to kill it this time! (-:

AUD - 68, 79
    REG - 75
    BEC - 82

Wiley CPAexcel + Ninja

GeauxAwayCPA
    Participant

Yeah if this is for FAR, my best advice is to NOT try to rush through it, or cut corners. I know it's easy to want to get through the material as fast as possible but with FAR I've found it is absolutely critical that you take it nice and slow. Really understand what you're doing and why. I think if I would have done that my first time around, I might be completely done by now 🙁

Good luck to you! Hoping we both pass our exams! 🙂

Scared-cpa
    Participant

Thanks, GeauxAwayCPA. I'm trying to understand the concepts as best I can without getting behind. I guess the only way for me to know if the way I'm studying is adequate would be to take the exam and see how I do. I sure hope I can pass in November.

Thanks, again! I am rooting you on! You know what you have to do to pass it, so I have faith! (-:

AUD - 68, 79
    REG - 75
    BEC - 82

Wiley CPAexcel + Ninja

JAM
    Participant

@scared_cpa one thing to consider is Jeff's approach to studying in the acronym NINJA :

N – Nail the concepts – Watch all the vids, read each section first (NO MCQ's yet)
    I – Intense notes. Take intense notes along the way
    N – Non-stop MCQ's. After reading everything , THEN start MCQ's doing as many as possible
    J – Just re-write – About 2 Weeks out from exam day, re-write your notes
    A – All comes together for a passing score!

Try this new method and see how it works for you? I've enjoyed it so far.

AUD : 73, 82
    BEC : 76

REG : 72, 75

FAR: 61, 84

GeauxAwayCPA
    Participant

The only thing I don't like about CPA Excel is that I didn't find that there was a way to truly know how you were doing (Maybe there was a way and it was just user error :)). I love the progress report in NINJA MCQ and how it shows your trending average score for each topic. Might be something to consider getting for only $47! Obviously it's only my first time using it and so the jury is still out on whether it'll actually get me the last pass I need. But I like knowing where I stand as I go through questions and I didn't find CPA Excel truly did a good job of that.

JAMfromATL is also right – I don't think Jeff's method is a bad way to go and it makes a lot of sense. I didn't find another 71 until I failed FAR and was desperately searching for answers. I just included what I did that got me passes in my earlier post. I am doing the NINJA method this time for my FAR retake though.

And thank you!! I also hope I can be done with this whole darn thing come November! I'll be rooting you on to get the beast behind you as well! 🙂

Scared-cpa
    Participant

The NINJA method seems good…I just don't think I have time to do that. That's essentially what I was going the first couple weeks of studying, and it's also why I got 10 days behind in my daily assignments. At that rate, it will take my over four months to study, plus 2 weeks or so for review. I think most people will agree this is too long. So I'm trying to pick up the pace without feeling overwhelmed and anxious!

AUD - 68, 79
    REG - 75
    BEC - 82

Wiley CPAexcel + Ninja

Missy
    Participant

Aim for 2.5 hours per day on weekdays, and 6-7 hours a day on weekends. I realize 4 grad classes is a lot probably the equivalent of working 50 hours per week, but many of us do work 50+ hours a week and have kids, spouses, homes to care for. I think your biggest obstacle is being convinced you're short on time, which you are but that describes most people taking the exams.

Old timer,  A71'er since 2010.

Finance manager/HR manager

Licensed Massachusetts Non Reporting CPA since 2012
    Finance/Admin/HR Manager

Participant

I wrote a post at around 4PM but I think it got caught in the spam filter or something since it is not showing up. I don't know if it's because I put a link in my post or what. I get this message when I tried to post it again:

ERROR: Duplicate reply detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!

FAR- 88- 6/16- (Ninja Avg. 74%)
    REG- 89- 7/16- (Ninja Avg. 77%)
    AUD- 95- 8/16- (Ninja Avg. 81%)
    BEC- 82- 9/16- (Ninja Avg. 75%)
    [Wiley CPAExcel + Ninja MCQ]

Finally licensed.

FAR - June 2016 - 88
    REG - July 2016 - 89
    AUD - Aug 2016 - review phase currently
    BEC - Sep 2016 -

Wiley CPA Excel & Ninja MCQ

Participant

This is the study schedule I used for FAR. CPAExcel's exam planner is useless. Once I finished a lesson I moved the numbers to the right column. Left column= unfinished. Right column= finished. Then I colored the finished row green. The “Estimated Average Total Study Time” that they give is how long it takes to complete the questions and TBSs, does not include the time it takes to read or watch videos. I usually took twice as much time as CPAExcel indicates, even though I don't watch videos.

I wouldn't bother with diagnostic exams, just make sure you have 2 to 3 weeks for Ninja MCQ review. I didn't have a thorough understanding of the material. There is too much crap in FAR to have a thorough understanding, unless you have photographic memory.

FAR Schedule

Finally licensed.

FAR - June 2016 - 88
    REG - July 2016 - 89
    BEC - Sep 2016 -

Scared-cpa
    Participant

@mla11692, I completely understand. I know a lot of people have much more on their plate than me and get it done. I don't think of myself as a “special snowflake” believing that I somehow have it harder than others. I think it is just where I'm not used to having so much stuff to do. But that's just an excuse. I know I've got to get my butt in gear!

@circadianmalfunction, your schedule is great! Is it okay if I use something similar for myself? I found that the “Average Study Time” is not that doable, as well. Either I'm doing more than the average person is, or they are much smarter! I've learned to disregard it. Do you think me being ~10 days behind their schedule is horrible? I'm trying to do a day and a half's worth each day to catch up, but I'm finding that hard to do, as well. Maybe that's just an excuse.
    As far as the diagnostic exams are concerned, I'm just afraid I will forget what I've already done when I am finished reviewing and then I will struggle through the end review. Thoughts?

Do I seem to be okay still in completing the study/review to sit mid-November?

AUD - 68, 79
    REG - 75
    BEC - 82

Wiley CPAexcel + Ninja

Participant

Just disregard CPAExcel's stupid schedule. In the beginning I was trying to follow it and I was also trying to make all the little lesson circles green. That was a big waste of time. I stopped with all that and did not worry about any of CPAExcel's stupid metrics once I got into REG. Only did the questions in study mode.

Yeah, go ahead and copy and paste it. If you look at the bottom of the spreadsheet, you will see how I estimate how much I should be doing per day. As I mentioned before, make sure the To Date is 2 or 3 weeks before your exam date, so you have time to do Ninja MCQ. I'm not sure how long Ninja will take you though. I'm not working and I can do about 200 MCQs a day. So the questions took about 9-10 days and the Ninja SIMs took 2 days. You might want to leave another day or two for reviewing journal entries and whatever notes you have.

Finally licensed.

FAR - June 2016 - 88
    REG - July 2016 - 89
    BEC - Sep 2016 -

Scared-cpa
    Participant

Thank you so much! Did you use Wiley test bank? If so, what were you averaging there on correct responses? What about on NINJA? I think I remember you saying in a different post that you got an 88 on FAR (maybe?) so I'm taking your posts as gospel lol.

AUD - 68, 79
    REG - 75
    BEC - 82

Wiley CPAexcel + Ninja

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.