2 Tier State People

• Creator
    Topic
    DoubleBogey
    Participant

Just passed my last exam. Need to complete the 150 credit and work experience requirements. What exactly does the “first tier”, passing the exams, do for you? Do they mail you a certificate? Put CPA at the end of your name with and asterisk? How does this work?

AUD - 92
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 79
    REG - 84
    "I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." Philippians 3:14
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

In my state (TX), you can't sit until you have 150 hours. I got a congratulatory letter from my state board when I passed all 4. I would not put CPA behind your name or in any way imply that you are licensed until you complete all requirements and receive acknowledgement from your state board. I am sending my work experience for final evaluation this week.
    Congratulations on passing.

DoubleBogey
    Participant

Thanks Chandler! AL lets me sit with the 120 and I plan to start the trek toward 150 in January. My experience will meet the 2 years February 2020 so I can finish the 150 before then. As @Recked would suggest, I intend to call the state board after the hectic score release period eases up.

AUD - 92
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 79
    REG - 84
    "I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." Philippians 3:14
    NYSCPA
    Participant

In all honesty not a gosh darn thing. I too, passed all the exams and then had to fulfill the credit requirement. Mind you, I had to take 26 credits of elective BS, I already had the accounting credits from undergrad degree, so being in that situation is the absolute worst. But hey at least you finished the exams (hardest part). You won't get any certificate. Never put CPA after your name until you are actually a CPA. There is not in process designation. If you thinking of what to put on your resumes.

Licenses/Certifications
    Passed all parts of the CPA exam. Need to complete the 150 credit and work experience requirements.

Something of that nature. Others can/ will add to this as well.

NYS Licensed CPA. 12yrs in this shit and it never gets easier!
    DoubleBogey
    Participant

Lol I really don't get the 2 tier state thing. But I don't get the 150 credit requirement thing either. Does anybody know if I'm expected to do CPE in between tiers of licensure? I know these are state board questions but i'm hoping someone here has gone through all the same hoops.

AUD - 92
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 79
    REG - 84
    Anonymous
    Inactive

@Jsdailey, probably not the answer you're looking for, but it all varies by state 🙂 For example, I had to do ethics CPE before I can get my license, but on all others, requirements don't start until I'm licensed. The hard part is over for you at least.

Anonymous
    Inactive

ipasscpaexam explains it pretty well. But doesn't look like you can do much other than list on your resume you “Passed the Uniform CPA Exam” same as other states.

CPA Certificate
    1) Work experience is often not required.
    2) No CPA CPE (continuous professional education) hours required.
    3) Scope of work is limited as certificate holder cannot own a CPA firm (either as sole owner or partner) or sign an audit report.
    4) Cannot normally hold yourself out as a CPA. Some states allow you to say “CPA but not in public practice”, while others simply don’t allow you to use the title in any way.

CPA License
    1) Typically require 1-2 years of working experience, supervised and/or verified by a CPA licensee.
    2) CPE hours required every reporting years (typically 120 hours every 3 years).
    3) Can use CPA title in business cards and own CPA firm/sign audit report.

NYSCPA
    Participant

Honestly, I never heard of a 2 tier state thing until now. I've always been under the impression that there are 3 stages 1) no license not in the process of getting one 2) in the process of getting license (150 credits, work experience, passing exams) 3) Met all requirements, submitted application and received license #. I'm located in NY. For us we are not expected to do CPE until the first triennual period is up (after 3 years of being licensed). Then once licensed, there is a minimum of credits to obtain each year. I haven't looked that much into it because I'm in year 2.

DoubleBogey
    Participant

The way it was explained to me is that I'd be a “CPA” without a license for public practice as tier 1. I intend to fulfill all the requirements so it's only a temporary thing anyway.

AUD - 92
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 79
    REG - 84
    NYSCPA
    Participant

See, I see no value in the “CPA Certificate”, nor did I ever know of its existence until now. but that's cool!

DoubleBogey
    Participant

@NYSCPA,

AUD - 92
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 79
    REG - 84
    DoubleBogey
    Participant

I completely agree. But, since I live in a 2 tier state I want to understand what the heck it actually means.

AUD - 92
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 79
    REG - 84
    NYSCPA
    Participant

Gotcha. And having had it explained, it makes sense. I just don't understand why such a system is needed. But that's government for ya! Congrats on passing and good luck getting everything else done. Once your licensed it'll all be worth it. Just remember that the license isn't a guarantee, its a tool. I only say that because I've read too many times of people on here passing the exams, getting licensed, thinking its a guaranteed six figures out the gate kinda thing.

DoubleBogey
    Participant

AL State Board got back to me for anybody else in a two-tier state.
    Once you have passed all 4 parts of the CPA exam AND have the 150 hour requirement met, the state will issue the candidate an inactive CPA license until the work experience requirements are met, so the paper certificate but no public practice authority. It's weird, but that's what is meant by two tier state.

AUD - 92
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 79
    REG - 84
    Recked
    Participant

Good to know, and nice work following up with the state board.
    Thanks for sharing the results of your research.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.