49 yes old-need encouragement!! - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    Jeanoncc
    Participant

I am now, 25 years after college and now that kids are grown, ready to take this test. I have no support system and already feel discouraged and daunted.

Please tell me it’s not too late. My dream is to eventually work for myself. I am not interested in big firms or big corporate. I want to set up the schedule I want and do what I enjoy. I would be content being a bookkeeper, but I feel that I need to pass this test. I am currently working full-time in a government position and I can get certified if I pass this difficult test. I don’t want to work here forever, as I am not very happy here. My confidence is so lacking right now, which is yet another reason I feel I should pass.

I am divorced and alone and I want to have a good, solid career. I am starting over now. I can use some encouragement more than anything right now.

Any words of wisdom and encouragement would be greatly appreciated right now.

Jean

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Wanna_B_TXCPA2014
    Participant

jeanoncc you have support in this forum! Anytime you need some encouragement from people fighting the same battle, you should immediately come to this website. I've been at this since 2013 and I will be the first to tell you achievements dont have expiration dates.

Jeanoncc
    Participant

Thank you, Jeff and TX CPA!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Throw yourself into your studies! You may think you have disadvantages, but you do have at least one major advantage over many candidates: experience.

Quick question: do you meet the new 150-hour education requirement for licensure? It's an additional hurdle for many candidates. There are many routes to get this taken care of: MBA, MSc, community college, another Bachelor's degree, non-degree, etc.

Sounds like you're going through a lot right now. To be honest, the best I've ever performed was during times of difficulty. The whole “I gotta get through this” repeating in my head while doing MCQ reps has proven invaluable. Hopefully you'll learn a few things you either forgot or can apply at the workplace.

You won't regret your decision to conquer this. Having your license will give you confidence and more freedom. Like many have said, it's not a golden ticket, but it's pretty damn close.

Good luck!

Jeanoncc
    Participant

Thank you. This is what I need to hear. I have all of the required credits, so that is good. I am just going to push through it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am 41 this year. I did not even start studying accounting until age 35 and even then, it was very part-time studies for 2 years, and then another 2 years of intensive studies.
    I have a BS in Chemistry, earned in the late 90s. I got my second BS in Accounting just 2 years ago. Due to work and life in general, I have been studying for these exams as my time
    has allowed. Have taken a couple, but no passes yet. When I started studying accounting, I never even thought about going for CPA. It wasn't until my final 2 years of accounting/business courses that I decided I'd eventually do it. And…now I am. It hasn't been an easy road, but for some reason, I don't want to quit. I am not someone who quits things just because they're difficult.

Funny story – there's a lady who I've been somewhat of a mentor to who is about your age. I think she's 51-52 now? She started taking accounting courses maybe 4 years ago after 25 years as a bookkeeper. She knows Quickbooks like nothing human….she just never got a degree in business/accounting. She's about done with her coursework now – and I told her all of the courses she should take (she and I went to the same 2 schools – a community college and then a university.) She has a couple kids and owns her own business as a certified Quickbooks user. I think at one point her goal was to go for the CPA but I'm not sure if she still plans on doing it because lately her business has been booming and she wouldn't have time to study I don't think. I hope she does continue because she's now qualified to take it.

As others have said, yeah, those of us who are on this journey later in life do have the disadvantage of not having as many work years to make use of it. We have a lot more miles on us than do the 20-something millenials. But, if the CPA is something you really want, then don't lose sight of your goal. Even if it doesn't land you a better or higher-paying job, that's not a reason to NOT get it. There are many reasons to quit. I know this first-hand. But, in my case, I'm too far into it and have spent too much money and time on it. The credential is a weird one. It's not a doctoral degree (PhD), but LIKE a doctorate degree, it does open doors if you have it! I've never heard of an unemployed CPA.

As I mentioned, there are many reasons to quit. I know one of the almost-breaking points for me was watching a webcast of a live presentation done by my state CPA organization (I'm in California.) They had a couple speakers from the Big 4 on their panel, and both of them were very doom-and-gloom about the job situation. They both said “If you're 24 and haven't landed
    a position in public accounting yet, you're behind schedule…because once you're in your late 20s, it's very hard to get hired in public accounting if you haven't had some experience
    there yet.” And they also said “Get your CPA. Don't even think about it, just get it, because if you want to move up in public accounting, you won't move up without it.” But public accounting is not for everyone, and it's too bad that the CPA has a reputation for only being something earned by people in public accounting or as a networking tool. You can get plenty of work in private and YES YES YES, Government is a great area to go into. Not many of us on here work in Government. But, regardless, if you have the CPA, you're not gonna be unemployed and chances are that your job and compensation will be way better than someone who doesn't have it…although, I know plenty of people who make excellent money who don't have it (Controllers, senior-level accountants and accounting department managers, etc.)

I wouldn't even say that age should be anything you think about. If you want the CPA, you have but to go for it and get it. Don't look back!! Not unless you end up with a really good reason to quit, and I hope that won't happen!

This forum is a great resource to help you stay motivated. I usually come on here only once every 2-3 months for a bit and then stop but I think a lot of us do that because of our work schedules.

cmcook
    Participant

You can totally do it. You really can.

Death before surrender
    Missy
    Participant

If you can survive raising a couple of kids to adulthood you've got the tenacity to do this. Besides even if you only provided bookkeeping services the hourly rate a licensed cpa can charge are often upwards of double what other bookkeepers can. I've got clients who could easily get a $15/hr bookkeeper to do what I do for them but they're willing to pay me much more than that

Old timer,  A71'er since 2010.

Finance manager/HR manager

Licensed Massachusetts Non Reporting CPA since 2012
    Finance/Admin/HR Manager

rhayder
    Participant

You can do it! I also work in government. I'm in my early 50s. I'm interested in tax would also like to become a tax attorney. I currently earn more than the the median salary for a CPA or attorney in my area. I would like to continue working and build a practice on the side. Eventually, I may retire from government and consult in the area of tax law.

You can do it!

AUD - 82
    BEC - 89
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 88
    -
    Jeanoncc
    Participant

That is inspiring. I too am interested in tax and have considered getting a master's in taxation. Thank you for the encouragement. This thread reminds me that there are many career paths and options outside of the “typical” path to success. Quality of life and choices do exist outside of that mindset that is taught in college; and success is, in the end, measured by your own quality of life as it is best defined by you. I don't for a second regret trading a cubicle for time spent to raise my sons. They are now entering college. I will be working for a long time, so I may as well make the most of it. Thank you!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can do this! No matter what happens, do not give up. You will find doubt and will overcome it with work ethic. If anything, studying will make you better in the end. You can do this!!

Jeanoncc
    Participant

You guys are the best! 🙂

shawn in VA
    Participant

I am in my mid 30s and while it is possible to pass these parts ( I have only passed 1 thus far) It will take some work. I have been out of school for 10 years and has been a definite challenge. I hardly remember any concepts from college. I work in public which helps very little for the exam.

For me it is repetition constantly. Do questions at least twice, do flashcards, and I actually prefer lectures over the book.

In summary, definitely doable but will take lots of effort. If you have kids/spouse it is not easy.

AUD - 84
    BEC - 81
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 75
    AUD - 84

BEC-  81

REG-75

FAR- TBD

shawn in VA
    Participant

okay i saw your divorced so not sure if you have kids but no spouse.

Keep strong mentally because I got 2 74's in a row in BEC and it destroyed me. I have not been able to work up the courage to take an exam since March and have been to the doctor and presribed serious medications such as XANAX and Welbutrin for my anxiety/depression that NEVER existed prior to this process.

AUD - 84
    BEC - 81
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 75
    AUD - 84

BEC-  81

REG-75

FAR- TBD

Anonymous
    Inactive

These exams are designed for 20-something year old kids right out of college. This is just one of many skeletons in the AICPA's closet that they will never dare reveal. But, those of us who are smart can read between the lines. This process involves jumping over lots and lots of hurdles, especially if you're older. But, the set-up is to weed out the people who are not serious, even the invincible 20-somethings who get out of school and take the exams right away (or even before graduation in a small number of cases.) They make serious revenue off of re-takes, as evidenced by the pass rates, which they do make public. BEC is the only one of the four with a greater-than-50% pass rate. The nice thing about it though is that you can fail them as many times as needed with no repercussion whatsoever. Your bank account may be depleted, your morale and self-esteem may reach an all-time low (hence some people's use of prescription drugs) but once you pass, your whole world changes. At least I hope mine will. One other thing to watch for is burn-out. My advice would be to study for a part, take the exam, and then take 2-3 weeks off before starting on another part. It's very easy to burn out and start getting behind because your energy is depleted, and then your studying starts becoming counterproductive. You have to know *a lot* for the exams and I've even had attorneys who majored in Accounting/business in undergrad tell me that they took the Bar exam because they felt they could pass it, whereas they did not think they had the ability to pass the CPA exam.

CR7CPA
    Participant

I started studying for this exam at the age of 40 and was done at 42. Passing this exam gives you options. For example, Im sitting right now in a small office with 2 other accountants (not CPAs), Im the accounting manager and I feel that the other two accountants who are not CPAs pretty much hate the fact that I passed the exam in my 40s, since they can not do it in their 20s. Both of them have taken the exam and never passed any other part, now they say that since we all work in a private company, they wouldn't waste their time sitting for an exam that according to them, wont open any doors unless you want to work in an accounting firm. The director of accounting is not a CPA either and I think he does not like me very much either. The company recently created an APP for the iphone, and I told him that we needed to account for its cost following GAAP pronouncements. Since the director and the other two morons just expense all the cost, now they all claim that we will just expense all and let our parent company worry about it. They completely brushed me off and this is just an example of what happens here on a monthly basis. I feel like Im a freaking clerk since I can not put into practice what took me one year and eight months to accomplished (CPA). This is why I say that passing the exams gives you options. Since only 30% of accountants in south Florida are also CPAs, now I have options. Pretty soon, I will start looking a job, and Im sure I will get a better job soon.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.