Joe is a NINJA CPA review blogger.
I recently gave a presentation to my team about time management in the workplace and in your personal life.
Here are a few facts and ideas about time management to help make finding time more manageable.
- The average person gets 50-60 interruptions per day. The average interruption takes 5 minutes, totaling about 4 hours or 50% of the average workday. 80% of those interruptions are typically rated as “little value” or “no value” creating approximately 3 hours of wasted time per day.
- 15-20 minutes of planning in the morning (or night before) will save 2 hours of wasted time and effort throughout the day.
- It takes approximately 30 days to establish a new physical or emotional habit. Work on a good time management tool and stick to it!
- Manage and keep track of your time with your Outlook calendar.
- Schedule meetings in the afternoon. Studies have found that we are 20% more efficient in the morning between 8-12.
- Practice not answering emails/instant messaging just because they show up. Do not instantly give people your attention unless it is absolutely critical. Instead, schedule a time in your calendar to answer email/instant messaging.
There are many good time management tools available online and through courses. Try a few out and see what works best for you. Just remember that just because it works well for someone else does not mean it will work well for you. I had taken 3 time management courses before one finally stuck.
After passing BEC and REG I have started to study for Audit. I sit for the exam at the end of May (although I may push this back due to a Quarter close).
Good luck NINJAs!