Summer Distractions+ Studying for the CPA Exam
Rollie is a NINJA CPA blogger.
I am making my way through MCQ during this blistering and warm June. I see progress as I get closer to the July 1st testing date, but with summer in full swing there are many ways to get distracted from studying for the CPA Exam.
Let’s take a look at some:
- Perennials need watering. Let’s go outside!
- Darn Quack grass is invading my lawn. Let’s go outside!
- Nice day to sit on the porch and have a beer. Let’s go outside!
- We received an inch of rain from a storm. Grass needs mowing. Let’s go outside!
- Garage Sale down the street. Let’s go outside!
- Bird Feeders need filling. Wouldn’t want our squirrels to go hungry… Let’s go outside!
- Mulch was on sale at Lowes. Better put it down. Let’s go outside!
- Severe Thunderstorm is rolling in. Let’s go outside! (full disclaimer – I know this is a really dumb idea)
- Tree branches fell down from previous night storm. What do we do? We go outside!
Two techniques that work for me when I’m faced with distractions:
1. I study 20-30 NINJA MCQ and then take a short break. With ADHD, that maximizes my attention span and utilizes my time more efficiently.
2. This sounds stupid from the start, but I make it as annoying as possible to get out of my chair: I have a high-powered fan I turn on and then I recline in my chair with a blanket on top of me.
I get infuriated when I get up and all of the cords get tangled in the recliner. Since I have no battery for my laptop, if it gets unplugged, I lose everything. I get crazy when that happens, so I tend to stay put.
Until next time, just keep swimming.